Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fish, Skate, Breath...

Total Immersion...

Def 1:  Being completely involved in your pursuit.  Focused.  Avoiding distractions.

Def 2:  Laying on your side, slipping quietly underwater, feeling your nasal passage filling gleefully with water, because you haven't quite mastered "balance".  

Flew to Atlanta this weekend to further my journey from cinderblock to swimmer at a TI Freestyle Workshop.  Signed up for Charleston, but with only two of us, we moved it to the coaches home "turf".  In all, a terrific experience.  Bill was a great coach with a clear game plan to move through the weekend.  The underwater video taping alone was worth the trip.  Ever watched yourself swim?  Scary!

Surprise 1:  The pool was filled with salt water.  I'm guessing Saturdays' six hours in the water would have been much harder on the epidermis if we were dealing with chlorine.

Surprise 2:  Dial in the stroke and 25 m becomes so effortless that you can do repeats on just one breath.

Granted, there's a lot to keep track of to achieve that "dialedinness".  That's where muscle memory comes in.  (I'm hoping my muscles have better memory than my brain...)

Not ready for the 10K swim just yet, but then that event is hard to wrap my head around.   Mom always said "Don't go in the water right after eating."  How would she feel about an event where you eat while you're in the water?  

Bottom line - strongly recommended.  

3 comments:

BreeWee said...

Being completely involved in your pursuit. Focused. Avoiding distractions....

I LOVE that, thanks for sharing that definition... good timing, I needed it!

Glad you are having some fun and doing well! Have a super weekend!

Unknown said...

What helps me achieve my fitness goals and constantly move forward is military grade nutritionals. Their pre-workout supplements are awesome. They give me quick boost of energy and enhance my physical capacities. I am gaining muscle and strength, so I am ready for new and more challenging goals.

Unknown said...

I have found a way to keep good shape without overtraining and without exhausting my body. Right nutrition is one of the key factors. Still, sometimes everyday meals can not provide all necessary nutrients. That is why I am taking nutritional supplements. As I am strongly opposed to all kinds of chemicals, I was looking for the natural supplement, consisting basically of vitamins. And I have found the one - Multipurpose High-Potency Super Nutritional Complex. It keeps me toned, especially in winter when it is so hard to kick yourself off the sofa for the gym.